This 4-day Masterclass course helps you learn about the tools and features available for power users of Adobe InDesign CC. We will help you understand how this industry-leading program takes desktop publishing and design to a new level, and combines production power and creative freedom with tight integration with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat software. You will learn to create attractive, simple documents and prepare them for the web and for print. We will guide you in learning the work area, working with text and graphics, creating simple vector-based graphics, and the basics of design. You will also learn how to apply consistency to your text through the use of paragraph and character styles. Once you grasp the basics of the program, we will show you how to take your understanding to the next level. We will cover advanced topics such as creating eBooks, generating indexes, and automating workflows.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Navigate the InDesign environment
- Design simple and complex documents, including interactive PDFs and eBooks
- Add effects to objects
- Apply paragraph and character styles
- Use colours, swatches, and gradients
- Manage transparency and use tables
- Prepare for hand-off to a service provider
- Use advanced tools and palettes
- Re-use data via libraries and snippets
- Generate tables of contents and indexes
- Store PDF presets
- Develop Bézier paths
- Work with XML
- Automate your workflow with other Creative Cloud programs
This course is the perfect preparation if you plan to take the Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) exam.
Our goals are for you to be able to create simple but professional documents that are ready to use for the web and for print, to understand the advanced features of InDesign, and to become a confident power user.
This course can be taken in a single 4-day block or split into a 2-day block (Introduction) and then a separate 2-day block (Advanced) taken at a later date
Who Should Attend?
This course is intended for graphic designers, creative professionals, print professionals, publishers, pre-press professionals, and marketing communications professionals.
You will need basic PC or Mac skills, including a solid understanding of a computer’s operating system (Windows or Mac OS). You will also need to know how to launch a program, create and save files, and copy files from CDs and other media. You can install TRIAL here: Adobe.com.
You will receive a comprehensive course manual for this class selected by the Adobe Certified Instructors at Sharingbasics. A certificate is issued upon course completion.
How online training works?
Most regularly scheduled online training classes start at 10AM – 2PM (4hours) / 10-5 PM (7 Hours). Upon your class registration, you will receive a web address and code to log-in and participate in your training. You may always call a training consultant at +6013-9337594 or whatsapp if you have questions.
Private & Customized Training
Custom classes and private training are available online and can be arranged to accommodate your schedule. Call a training consultant at +6013-9337594 or email here to discuss details for private online training classes or complete our contact form here.
HRD Corp Reimbursement (if applicable):
HRD Corp – Training is claimable under Pembangunan Sumber Manusia Berhad (PSMB) through SBL / SBL KHAS Scheme.
The following is a general outline. The range of topics covered during your training is dependent upon student level, time available and preferences of your course booking.
Getting started in InDesign
- Customise Your Workspace
- Workspace and Window arrangement
- Create a New Document
- Zooming in and out
- Moving around your document
- Using Control panel options
- Previewing your document
Managing and Formatting Text
- Add Text
- Edit Text using Story Editor
- Spell Check Text
- Find / Change
- Character formatting options
- Paragraph formatting options
- The Glyphs panel
- Showing Hidden Characters
- Threading Text
- Adding images
- Cropping images
- Resizing images
- Adding Text Wrap
- Understanding different image file types
- Using the Links panel
- Understanding and checking resolution
Colours, Swatches, and Gradients
- Adding colour to Fill / Stroke
- Adding Swatches
- Understanding the difference between CMYK, RGB, Pantone colours
- Creating tint swatches
- Creating Gradients
- Stroke settings
- Creating different shapes
- Arranging, Aligning and Distributing
- Transforming Objects
- Object Styles
- Applying Effects
- Shape and corner options
Paragraph and Character Styles
- Setting up Paragraph Styles
- Setting up Character Styles
- Changing Paragraph & Character styles
- Setting up Master pages
- Applying a Master page
- Using Master pages with facing pages
- Adding page numbers
- Overriding Master page items
Preparing a document for Printing
- Using Preflight for basic checks
- Print a Document
- Packaging Files
- Exporting to PDF
Managing Your Workspaces
- Organising Your Panels
- Advanced Zooming and Navigation
- Advanced View Options
- Typographical preferences
- Advanced Character formatting options
- Advanced Paragraph formatting options
- Review of setting up Style Sheets
- Advanced Style Sheet Tips
- Nested Styles
- Using ‘Based on’, ‘Next Style’ and Quick Apply
Pages and Master Pages
- Review of setting up Master Pages
- Parent & Child masters
- Overriding Master Page items
- Using ‘Shuffle’ options
- Best practice with master page
- Numbering and Section options
Organising your Layout
- Advanced Align options
- Using keyboard shortcuts for align and distribute
- Using the Gap tool
- Using Autofit for images
- Review of setting up Object Styles
- Setting up a Baseline Grid
- Review of Swatches – managing colours and gradients
- Creating Mixed Inks
- Using the Ink Manager
- Sharing Swatches between documents and with Photoshop and Illustrator
- Using Libraries and Snippets
- Creating Templates
- Creating and using Find/Change queries
- Creating a Table of Contents
- Using an InDesign ‘Book’ to collate documents
- Setting up Indexes
- Setting up Tables
- Importing Excel & Word tables
- Creating Table and Cell styles
Creating an interactive PDF
- Adding Hyperlinks, Buttons, Movies and Sounds
- Setting up Page Transitions
- Exporting an Interactive PDF
Setting up an e-book / e-pub
- Understanding what an e-book is
- Overview of preparing a file to become an e-book
- Overview of Export options
- Understanding InDesign preferences
- Changing document preferences
- Changing application preferences
- Using the Overprint Preview and the Separations Preview panel
- Defining the Transparency Flattener settings
- Using Preflight
- Understanding an RGB workflow
- Creating PDF presets
- Your choice of Windows or Mac
- Certified hands-on training
- Small class size (max 5-10)
- 6 months post course support
- Authorised Course Certificate
This course is provided as a remote online course with live training provided by our Certified Trainer.
Accessing the live online course, anywhere is easy and all you will need is:
- Computer with the trial or full version of the software
- Separate screen or device for the shared video display
- Sound output via computer or headset
- Ideally a camera and microphone on the computer for remote contact
Our goal is for you to be able to create simple but professional documents that are ready to use for the web and for print.
It is important to note this is not a classroom based training.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is provided with this course?
For this online course you will need to have your computer ready with the relevant software (trial or full) and our live instructor will guide you through the skills remotely during the session. Files for use in the training will be made available in advance for download. After the course you will receive the authorised Certificate and 6 months direct post course support.
2) Does this course give a qualification?
Although this course does not provide an actual qualification each delegate is provided with an official Certificate for completion of the course level.
3) Do you offer discounts or promotions?
We offer a range of regular discounts available for self funding individuals, charities and education along with period special offers. See our promotions page for full details.
4) Can you invoice my company?
In short yes we can provide 30 day invoice terms to any company with the provision of your official purchase order and/or completing the invoice request for your booking online.
5) What are the course times?
For all online courses the normal session timings are 10am to 5pm with an hour break for lunch. In addition to the hour lunch break there are also two fifteen minute coffee breaks mid morning and mid afternoon.
Daily times are:
09.45 – Registration
10.00 – Course start
13.00 – Lunch
14.00 – Afternoon starts
17.00 – Course ends